sunnuntai 4. joulukuuta 2011

Differences

I decided to write a post in English, just because I want to maintain it in some kind of way (it's getting SERIOUSLY rusty!). There are a lot of differences between my homecountry - Finland - and Sicily - yes, I say Sicily because the Sicilians are definetly different compared to the Italians up in the north.

The people here are a lot warmer compared to the average Finn. It's a lot easier here to just start talking with a random person - the fact that I'm an exchange student gives even more to talk about!  Just yesterday I walked into a clothing store, and I ended up smalltalking with the shop attendant, she apparently knew my hostdad in some kind of way! According to what I read about Sicilians before I left, they're supposed to be persons who mostly mind their own business . Those persons must be hiding very well, though, because I haven't met a single one of them...

 The food What can I say? It's Italy. My hostfamily always tries to get together for lunch,which often consists of a delicious dish of pasta. My favourite dish so far is linguine with clams, yum!
The ice-cream here is way better than any other I've ever tried (I always eat the coconut-flavoured one) the pizza - although I'm not exactly a huge fan - it's a lot better in taste. I have also tried sword fish which - despite my doubts - actually tasted quite okay. Sicily also has many different desserts, which I love a little bit too much.Us Finns aren't exactly famous for our delicious cuisine, so except for Rye bread and wholemeal products I don't really miss any other type of food that bad! (that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a delivery of Finnish candy every now and then *wink*)

The Culture. Even if you haven't visited Italy yet, you've probably heard about their culture. People around here don't tend to know a lot of english, which probably depends partly on their already rich culture. They simply don't need to search for better things, It's all here.

I'm very happy at the moment. I have a wonderful host-family that makes the homesickness disappear in a heartbeat (if it ever occurs)

The enviroment is also different (of course) Finland with it's  flat land, forests and straight roads...
...and then there's Sicily with it's heights, mountains and winding streets
an

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti